Each month, here at Broccoli Boxes we create a new sensory experience for your family and provide additional ideas to extend the play. These ideas also are not meant to be gone through all in one sitting.
We DO, however, highly recommend that you follow the lead of your child as some ideas may resonate more with your child than others. And, that’s okay. In fact it’s great! Go with it. Enjoy playing and learning together.
I strongly believe Broccoli Boxes sensory kits (and any sensory play) are best used when the child takes the lead, going wherever their imagination takes them. However, I also completely understand that there are times when it can be fun to help guide the play in a new direction or you may need to help your child get started. This is not an exhaustive list and isn’t meant to be printed and checked off as you go (but it certainly can if that works for you).
- Before reading, look at the title and the pictures. Ask, “what do you think this book will be about?”
- For older explorers, notice how the color in the pictures change as the story progresses and ask them why they think the illustrator chose to do that.
- Roll the dough with the palm of your hand
- Use the roller to roll the dough out
- Pinch the dough
- Use the dough cutters
- Place the curled chenille sticks around the peg people
- Make “cakes” and “cupcakes” and then decorate them with the themed accessories
- Use the stamps the make shapes
- Roll “snakes” out of the dough and make letters or shapes.
- Challenge your child to spell their name or make the letter you’re focusing on this week.
- Count the different types of pieces.
- Separate the pieces by their “attributes” or “characteristics”. For example, shipe, color, and hardness.
- Use the stamps to make shapes and identify the shapes
- Make “gifts” for each other. For example, make a beautiful heart for your little one.
- Think of someone in your neighborhood who could benefit from an act of kindness and ideas you could do as a family. Then, do it!
Most of all I hope you and your family have fun playing!